Research Areas and Interests
Dr Carolyn McIntyre
Post Doctoral Research Fellow
Contact Information Telephone: (61 8) +61863043987, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org,
|Telephone:||(61 8) +61863043987|
- American College of Sports Medicine Cancer Interest Group
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology
Awards and Recognition
- 2008-2010: National Cancer Institute of Canada Research Studentship Award ($23 500/year).The feasibility and preliminary efficacy of progressive resistance exercise training in lung cancer patients.
- 2006-2009: Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research Studentship ($21 500/year). Awarded to academically superior students to undertake full-time research training in the basic biomedical sciences or in clinical research.
Research Areas and Interests
- The role of exercise as medicine for cancer
- Theoretical determinants of physical activity and exercise adherence
- The role of exercise in the management of lung cancer
- PhD (Doctoral Degree), UNKNOWN, 2011 .
- MA (Master of Arts), Canada, 2005 .
- B (Bachelor Degree), UNKNOWN, 2002 .
Recent Research Grants
- Edith Cowan University and the Australian Lung Foundation/Bantoft Family Bequest PhD Scholarship, Lung Foundation Australia, Scholarship, 2014 - 2016, $78,000.
- Exercise as a Therapeutic Tool in the Management of Mesothelioma, Cancer Council of WA Inc, Fellowship, 2015 - 2017, $523,556.
- Whole-Body Vibration Treatment in Breast Cancer Survivors on Aromatase Inhibitor Therapy, Cancer Council of WA Inc, Grant - Early Career Investigator, 2012 - 2013, $24,033.
- Whole-Body Vibration Treatment in Prostate Cancer Survivors on Androgen Suppression Therapy, Australian Unity Foundation, Australian Unity Heritage Fellowship, 2011 - 2012, $48,581.
- Efficacy and safety of a modular multi-modal exercise program in prostate cancer patients with bone metastases: a randomized controlled trial, Prostate Cancer Foundation of Australia, Grant, 2012 - 2014, $296,820.
- Effects of exercise on sleep quality in lung cancer patients, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher Grant - 2015, 2015, $25,000.
- Exercise Training to Improve Physical Functioning and Exercise Adoption in Lung Cancer Survivors, Edith Cowan University, ECU Early Career Researcher - Grant, 2011 - 2012, $24,912.
Recent Publications (within the last five years)
- Courneya, K., McNeely, M., McIntyre, C., Sellar, C., (2009), Cancer. ACSM?s Resources for Clinical Exercise Physiology: Musculoskeletal, Neuromuscular, Neoplastic, Immunologic, and Hematologic Conditions, 206-219, Baltimore, MD.
- Spry, N., Taaffe, D., England, P., Judge, J., Stephens, D., McIntyre, C., Baker, M., Newton, R., Galvao, D., (2013), Long-term effects of intermittent androgen suppression therapy on lean and fat mass: a 33-month prospective study. Prostate Cancer and Prostatic Diseases, 16(1), 66-71.
- Gunnell, A., Einarsdottir, K., Galvao, D., Joyce, S., Tomlin, S., Graham, V., McIntyre, C., Newton, R., Briffa , T., (2013), Lifestyle factors, medication use and risk for ischaemic heart disease hospitalisation: a longitudinal population-based study. PloS One, 8(10), e77833, United States, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0077833.
- McIntyre, C., Bell, G., Fenton, D., McCargar, L., Courneya, K., (2013), Changes in motivational outcomes after a supervised resistance exercise training intervention in lung cancer survivors. Cancer Nursing, 36(1), 27-35, USA, DOI: 10.1097/NCC.0b013e31824a78e4.
- McIntyre, C., Bell, G., Fenton, D., McCargar, L., Courneya, K., (2012), Feasibility and preliminary efficacy of progressive resistance exercise training in lung cancer survivors. Lung Cancer, 75(1), 126-132, Ireland, DOI: 10.1016/j.lungcan.2011.05.026.
- McNeely, M., McIntyre, C., Yurick, J., Dayes, I., Mackey, J., (2011), Conservative and Dietary Interventions for Cancer-Related Lymphedema: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Cancer, 117(6), 1136-1148, DOI: 10.1002/cncr.25513.
- Galvao, D., Taaffe, D., Cormie, P., Spry, N., Chambers, S., McIntyre, C., Baker, M., Denham, J., Joseph, D., Groom, G., Newton, R., (2011), Efficacy and safety of a modular multi-modal exercise program in prostate cancer patients with bone metastases: A randomized controlled trial. BMC Cancer, 11(13 December 2011), Article Number 517, United Kingdom, DOI: 10.1186/1471-2407-11-517.
- Courneya, KS., Stevinson, C., McNeely, ML., Sellar, CM., McIntyre, C., Friedenreich, CM., Mazurek, A., Chua, N., Tankel, K., Basi, S., Reiman, T., (2010), Predictors of adherence to supervised exercise in lymphoma patients participating in a randomized controlled trial. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 40(1), 30-39, United States.
- Kilbreath, SL., Ward, LC., Lane, K., McNeely, M., Dylke, ES., Refshauge, KM., McKenzie, D., Lee, M., McIntyre, C., Battersby, KJ., (2010), Effect of airplane travel on lymphedema risk in women with a history of breast cancer. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment, 120(3), 649-654, United States.
- Jones, LW., Eves, ND., McIntyre, C., Courneya, K., Haykowsky, M., Kumar, V., Winton, TW., Reiman, T., (2009), Effects of presurgical exercise training on systemic inflammatory markers among patients with malignant lung lesions. Applied Physiology, Nutrition, and Metabolism, 34(2), 197-202, Canada.
- McIntyre, C., Jones, LW., Eves, ND., Reiman, T., Sellar, C., Winton, T., Courneya, KS., (2009), Correlates of adherence to supervised exercise in patients awaiting surgical removal of malignant lung lesions: results of a pilot study. Oncology Nursing Forum, 36(3), 287-295, United States.
- Courneya, KS., Sellar, CM., Stevinson, C., McNeely, ML., McIntyre, C., Freidenreich, CM., Tankel, K., Basi, S., Chua, N., Mazurek, A., Reiman, T., (2009), Randomized controlled trial of the effects of aerobic exercise on physical functioning and quality of life in lymphoma patients. Journal of Clinical Oncology, 27(27), 4605-4612, United States.
- Courneya, KS., Sellar, CM., Stevinson, C., McNeely, ML., Friedenreich, CM., McIntyre, C., Basi, S., Chua, N., Tankel, K., Mazurek, A., Reiman, T., (2009), Moderator effects in a randomized controlled trial of exercise training in lymphoma patients. Cancer Epidemiology Biomarkers and Prevention, 18(10), 2600-2607.
- McIntyre, C., Jones, LW., Eves, ND., Reiman, T., Sellar, CM., Winton, T., Courneya, KS., (2009), Effects of presurgical exercise training on quality of life in patients undergoing lung resection for suspected malignancy: A pilot study. Cancer Nursing, 32(2), 158-165, United States, DOI: 10.1097/NCC.0b013e3181982ca1.